Friday, July 24, 2015

What does it mean to be home?

I've always thought it's about where my family is, but my entire family won't be on the boat.  I'm thinking about my mom today. It's not just about her reluctance to sail. It's about her reluctance to travel at all, even to visit us.  My stepson's girlfriend is having a similar reaction.  I am powerless to change their minds and, really, I don't want to try.  What if I did convince them to visit and then they (and by extension, us) were miserable for the entire time?  While I'm wrestling with leaving family behind, we are also facing the problem of what to do with our homestead.  Our yard in the Spring, Summer and Fall is absolutely gorgeous.  Exhibit A:


 
It's Winter that we object to more and more, especially the older we get. So we sell, right? Ah, not so fast.  Our property is scheduled to be rezoned in 2022.  At that point, it may be worth considerably more as developers could chop it into smaller pieces.  So, what do we do?  Do we sell it now as a house with acreage?  Do we try to get developers to purchase it now and divide it into three or four lots (which it is zoned for), or do we try to rent it until 2022 when the zoning changes?  More than any other difficulty in sailing away, this is the one keeping my brain whirring at 11:58pm on a weeknight.  I don't know that there is a good answer, because each comes with its own set of pros and cons.  Who could we get to rent it?  Dog classes are also taught here on a full size agility field. What happens to that as my fellow trainers take over the business?  My hope is that things will be made clear as we get closer to our departure date.

Meanwhile, I am trying to redefine what "home" means to me.  No small task. 


No comments:

Post a Comment