Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Making it real

Why is it that a concept becomes more of a reality when you tell another person about it?  Up to this point, the fact of our leaving our lives-as-we-know-them behind has seemed far away, a pretty little daydream. But I've told a couple of people about it, and suddenly it IS happening!

Baby steps help.  I have started using duolingo.com for Spanish practice, at least once a day for 20 minutes.  We will start having Spanish immersion meals soon.  And Ham Radio for Dummies is a pretty good read!  There's a fair amount of information, though I don't know how up to date it is.  The nicest thing about it is that it gives you terrific suggestions for web sites to visit.

Since I'm still running my dog training business, that's what today has been mostly about.  I'm trying to ease my way out of it but keeping enough of it to myself so as to be able to live until we buy a boat.   The two (and hopefully eventually four) trainers I've brought on board are amazing women.  Without them, the hard work that went into creating the business would just fade away to nothing.  It's very reassuring to have them in place.

The friends I've told have been overwhelmingly supportive.  But I have to say, the funniest question I consistently get is, "Are you bringing the kids?"  Our kids are 9 and 10.  I mean, what else would we do with them?  "Yeah, they're not coming along.  We figure they are old enough to fend for themselves. They'll be alright."   Were we supposed to leave them with their grandma?  For 3 years?  I think not!  lol   It really points out what a foreign concept this is to most people.  They ask as though we haven't considered their future.

"Oh, the kids! Shoot, we kind of forgot about them in all the excitement!  I have NO idea what we're going to do with them." 

No comments:

Post a Comment