Monday, August 10, 2015

Another BIG hurdle overcome!

Certified in three sailing classes? Check! (Well, at least Henry is - I only have two under my belt, but I'm okay with that...mostly)

Sailing a 35 foot monohull?  Check!  This, up from the 23 foot sloop we started on.  Pretty proud of us.

Bringing the whole family sailing for an overnight?  Check!  And we didn't kill each other (bonus points)! Pictured below was our home for two days and two nights.  We took the live aboard option, so the first night was spent getting settled. Another bonus, Henry and I slept in the very tiny V-berth.  All 6'0" of my husband getting in and out of it absolutely made the trip for me.


Most of the first full day of sailing was drills. And more drills. Oh, and then we did more drills.  I lost count of how many times we did the Man Overboard drill, but after trying various ways of doing it I've decided that the quick-stop method is the toughest. I don't think there's anything quicker about it either, given our experiences.  Once again, I'll admit that I like sailing much more than I like sailing lessons. At some point, my brain is just FULL and I can't absorb anymore.  I found that aspect of being on the boat exhausting.

However, the rest of it was fantastic!  I actually loved the small space. We had plenty of room, and I realize that everything else from here on out is going to feel pretty luxurious.  The boat we plan to buy will be in the 40-43 foot range, and it'll be a catamaran.  Having been on a 43' foot catamaran on a charter, I'd have to say that it felt like two different worlds.

Our kids felt a little queasy at times, so we'll have to keep an eye on that.  But they did so well with everything that, at the end of the trip, our Captain said they were sweet kids!  And she was ever so impressed with their dedication in cleaning the boat for the next sailors.  We can thank my mom for instilling that value in me.  Thanks, Grandma Cherryl!

As far as galley cooking goes, that's going to be several more posts, I think.  But it really wasn't that different from cooking at home. Sure, everything is a little less spread out, but how much room do you really need?  Preparation is key.  If you have a stove top that is covered by a counter top, use that first to chop your veggies and get your ingredients ready.  I think having a few small, stackable bowls is going to be essential.

I was extremely relieved to discover that I do not get seasick from sleeping on the water!  The seasickness aspect of sailing has worried me, but I've only really gotten sick once. On the Pacific. After a storm.  It was rocking and rolling, and I wasn't the only victim.  I haven't had an issue since.  I briefly felt nauseated motoring in to the harbor, but I think that had more to do with the diesel fumes than with the water.  So maybe it's really true that everyone will get sick once in awhile...going to keep my Sea Band and Bonine in stock though, just in case.

Our next hurdle is taking out a 35' boat without a safety net (no Captain)!  That's only two weeks away.  I feel that we are, obviously, better prepared than we were before this trip, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a huge learning curve in here somewhere...stay tuned! 



No comments:

Post a Comment