Friday, November 25, 2016

When do we slow down?

It's been a crazy couple of weeks, again. I find myself wondering when the relaxed, retirement part of this trip starts?  We headed out of Utah and back to Nevada to have our "date" with Penn of Penn & Teller fame.  We helped to fund a movie he made, so we met he and his wife, Emily, and then went to the show.  It was a lot of fun, and my mom was there to help us enjoy it.  She had kindly flown to Vegas to babysit.  Since she left in a blizzard, it has come home to me that we should now be experiencing full on winter.  This is perhaps one of the biggest benefits of this lifestyle. I am no longer driving in wind, ice and snow.  Instead of the blizzard, we had this:



After Vegas, we spent a couple of idyllic days in Lake Havasu, Arizona and then brought Grandma to the Phoenix airport.  It was a bit hectic, more activity and driving than we would normally do. But of course, it was well worth it to have such a beloved guest. 



Now that we're in Phoenix and our "obligations" have once again ended, we hightail it to Texas. I need to renew my driver's license. We also need to register our new truck and RV as we are establishing residency there.  Why Texas?  In a word, taxes. It is one of the friendlier states in the union when it comes to taxation and establishing residency.  We will also be taking care of the nuts and bolts of new health insurance once we get there on December 5th.  We are currently using COBRA and it's incredibly expensive. I'm hoping we can do all of these things in the two weeks we'll be in Amarillo, because...

A new obligation awaits!   Yep, it looks like our Minnesota Golden Gophers are in the hunt for a Bowl Game.  The one that they're projected to attend is the Holiday Bowl. In San Diego.  California.  Where we just were for a month.  So, yeah, if that happens, we'll hightail it back to the state of questionable roads and over regulation.  Fortunately, it's also pretty gorgeous there. 



All of this is to say, we are not slowing down!   I'm starting to face the very real possibility that it won't. Ever.  Maybe that's just what it means to have a full life, I don't know.  But we have places to go and things to do once we get there.  It's made a bit more difficult in that none of it is written in stone.  This is the difference between life in Suburbia and life in an RV.  I always knew exactly where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to be doing in the suburbs.  There was always a plan, a road map laid out neatly for me.  Now, there is no map and no real timeline except for a vague hint of "next month".  Each time we move, we have to make another reservation and project how long we want to stay.  I'm finding it a bit more stressful than I thought it would be.  Where's the boredom?  I truly thought there would be more boredom!

Uncertainty is not yet addicting.  I think I'd like a better map. 

No comments:

Post a Comment